A landlord from Leicestershire is due to be sentenced in September 2014 after pleading guilty at Leicester Crown Court of 7 charges under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
A fire broke out in his property which contained 11 bedsits following which it was found that there was no emergency lighting or working smoke alarms.Â A fire extinguisher had not been maintained for 25 years.Â There was no suitable fir risk assessment or arrangements for safe evacuation. Fire doors were either missing or jammed open. Car parts and tyres were stored in the basement.
Thankfully all residents got out of the property.
Not surprisingly the landlord was not licensed to run such a property and was not on the fire register.